THE BASILICA OF S. ANTONINO
It was built in XI century on a former oratory dedicated to S. Antonino (of IX century). In the past this church was also the centre of a heretical movement. The middle nave of the church has a painted ceiling with rose-windows. In the middle there is a painting portraying S. Antonino during an exorcism.
There are also interesting paintings by Giovanni del Po portraying important events of the story of the town. Others interesting objects are the relics of S. Antonino; a crib of 1700; a silver statue portraying S. Antonino.
The Domus novae (Dominova) was made in XVI century and it is the only ancient noble seat in Campania.
It is in Renaissance style with a quadrangular portico and a small meeting room where noblemen of Sorrento met to discuss political issues. The building is decorated with frescoes and with the coats of arms of the most important noble families of Sorrento.
The bell tower is the original one. The cathedral has three floors and Roman architectural elements. The shape is that of a Latin cross. The pulpit has elegant marble columns and panels; there is a wonderful organ of 1897; the wooden choir stalls is carved portraying the Apostles and other Saints; there are several interesting paintings about martyrs and saints.
The gardens of the Villa Comunale were created to replace the ancient gardens of the monastery dedicated to Daint Francis. The gardens offer a beautiful view over the sea, from here you will admire the Gulf of Naples dominated by the Vesuvius. There are two bronze busts portraying two important people for Sorrento, celebrated in this way by the town: Bartolomeo Capasso and F. Saverio Gargiulo.
CHIOSTRO DI S. FRANCESCO -CLOISTER OF SAINT FRANCIS
Near the churchm in the convent dedicated to Saint Francis there is a beautiful cloister from the XIV century supported by octagonal columns with arches in Arabian style. Now the cloister is the setting for music concerts and art exhibitions.
VIA S. CESAREO
In the ancient heart of the town there is a beautiful road, Via San Cesareo, sided by the most elegant palaces of the town, from the XVII and XVIII centuries. They are a beautiful example of Baroque style with their elegant portals.
piazza Tasso SorrentoSorrento has narrow streets and quiet squares, like Piazza Tasso which is brimming with excellent restaurants, bars and caf?s. There are many trendy shops from one-off boutiques to top names.
This square is the heart of Sorrento and it was dedicated to the most famous person born in Sorrento: Torquato Tasso. This famous Italian poet was born in 1544.
In the past this square was called 'Largo Castello' because there was a castle of XV century ('castello' is 'castle'). The castle was pulled down in 1843.
PORTA DI MARINA GRANDE
This is the ancient Greek entrance to the town and it still keeps its original structure. Saracen pirates entered the town crossing this entrance in 1558 and sacked it.
THE CORREALE MUSEUM
museo CorrealeThis museum is in the palace that once belonged to the noble family of Naples, the Correale family. It was inaugurated in 1924 and contains many important objects, such as Capodimonte porcelains of XVIII century and paintings of the famous Posillipo school. At the ground floor there is a section dedicated to findings from excavations in Sorrento and on the Sorrento Coast, such as pots, tombs (IX to VI century b.C.) There is also a beautiful collection of fans made between XVIII and XX centuries and a rich library with original works by Torquato Tasso.
THE GEORGE VALLET ARCHAEOLOGICAL MUSEUM
This museum is situated in Villa de Sandro di Fondi. In this noble palace decorated with frescoes from the XVIII century and surrounded by a beautiful park, there are findings from the excavations on the Sorrento Coast, dating back to Neolithic period up(Neolithic necropoli of Gaudo) to the IV century b.C.
THE BATHS OF QUEEN JOANNA' - POLLIO FELICE'S VILLA
In Capo di Sorrento there are the remains of a wonderful Roman villa which belonged to Pollio Felice and described by the poet Publio Papino Stazio (45-96 a.C). This villa is also known as the 'Baths of Queen Joanna' because population thought that queen Joanna II of Durazzo (who behaved in a very scandalous way) had her bath completely naked in a hidden creek of Capo di Sorrento.